The Reunion

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

He Belongs to Me by Theresa Rizzo


 I've enjoyed two of Theresa Rizzo's books. I like them both, but this one is the better one! 

Catherine and Thomas married when Catherine was about four months pregnant with twins. They lived with Catherine’s parents for a while in their Chicago mansion. One of the children is sickly, he dies, and Thomas is accused of murder. Even though he is exonerated, they part ways. He has a scholarship to college in Michigan. At her father’s insistence, Catherine leaves her son with her parents and enrolls at Stanford. Four years later, Catherine has completed college. Her parents and son come for graduation. She is expecting her son to be moving to California to live with her, but he arrives with a single suitcase. Her parents have decided to retain custody Catherine finds Thomas, they reunite, and they set about winning custody of their son. Before the chapter ends, you love Catherine, and you despise her parents. Your feelings never really change. 

You will not believe the twists in the plot, the extent to which her parents will go to retain custody of the child, the final arguments in court. The story caught my attention early in the first chapter and never let me go. 

Rizzo seemed to understand how a man would feel in this situation. She ably describes Thomas’s feelings – his anger at losing his wife and child, his hesitancy to love Catherine again and to allow her to return to his life, his antipathy toward Catherine’s family.  

The book is well-written. The narrative flows well. The story of Catherine’s and Thomas’s love permeates the story and you long for a happy ending. 

I have conflicting feelings when I read a book like this. I find myself caught up in the story, so I rush to complete it. I find myself enjoying the story so much, that I don’t want it to end! I read He Belongs to Me in late 2013. I was completely blown away! It was the very best book that I read that entire year.

No comments:

Post a Comment